Monday, April 30, 2007

I'm a slacker

Last week was pretty hectic and I completely forgot to do reading notes. My bad. Unfortunately for you all, this week wasn't much better by a long shot. Therefore you are being subjected to the most boring blog on Earth. Please enjoy.
So, we watched Lost in Translation about 10 days ago. I've never seen it and since I didn't see the first 2/3 of it, I was pretty lost myself. After listening to the class discussion about how Tokyo wasn't a place but became a place to the characters, even moreso than their own actual homes, I really became pretty enthralled and plan to see this movie in its entirety the first chance I get.
On to Emergence: I can't lie. I was really distracted in class when we were talking about this. But I read the intro and first few chapters when I had a little time this weekend...I feel like Johnson's whole idea is really under-publicized. Why haven't I heard about this before? It's so simple and so complex at the same time; I feel like an 8th grader could begin to get a grasp on it. The whole ant colony thing made me think about my surroundings and how they came to be. Then the follow up readings as well as Jonathan's blog made me think about where my mom grew up.
My mom grew up in Iron River, MI. Known to no one other than for its AMAZING pizza. It's about a 5 hour drive from my home in Racine to this place; and with my older brother present, this journey seemed more like 5 days. Anyways, after you pass a place known as Wabeno, it's like a time warp. All of a sudden you are back in the 60s. I'm serious here. Iron River just got a new restaurant- its called McDonald's. So how has this place not evolved? How is it the same town it was when my mom was a kid? It seems everywhere else is becoming industrialized, expanded and modernized at the speed of light. Then you get into the upper peninsula of Michigan, and you might as well be rockin' your bell bottoms and afros (I actually saw one while I was there...no lie.)
Then I read Bobby's blog to get another view point on the stuff we read (and maybe discussed in class?- Like I said, I was preoccupied). The whole cell phone thing and tracking people...maybe I'm a conspiracy theorist, but I think they already do that. But in a related field, as I told the class, Disney World takes your finger prints now. My brother and uncle were convinced that ol' Walt is selling our prints to the FBI. There were many a people angrily ranting at the gates about the ludicrousness of sacrificing your fingerprints to ride a few rides. But I think this is the direction we're headed. There's already systems to put in your cars so you can track your kids; you can get a type of cell phone you can purchase for your child (designed for ages 10 and under..absolutely ridiculous) so you can track who your child is calling, how long he is talking, and how often. So while this "safety" feature is letting you sleep better at night, what are you giving up to have it?

2 comments:

Bobby said...

Big Brother constantly watching us really can be a scary thought. It's even scarier that the government may be keeping tabs on us through amusement parks. The happiest place on earth seems like the last place you'd have your fingerprints taken. If you've ever seen the movie Brazil
it shows a future where the government watches every part of our lives. Hopefully, we don't get to that point, but it seems like we're well on our way.

berinvonrad said...

Eh. It doesn't bother me too much that Disney World does it. If you don't want your fingerprints taken, go to Six Flags instead (not that the concessions will be any less expensive.) What scares me more is when we might be being watched and not have a choice.